Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Indian aunty art to giving compliments

Have you ever noticed how Indian aunties give compliments? They mean well (or I sure hope they do), but it does not really sound like a compliment even though its intended as one.


Here are my few favorites:

Situation: Lift Lobby
Attire: Jeans and singlet

Aunty: "OMG! Kitni patli ho gayi hain (OMG! You have become so thin!)
Me: Thank you auntyji (in my politest tone- and yes I do have one)
Aunty: Really....bahut jyada patli ho gayi hai (Really you have become very thin)
My Dad: Don't say so much, she will start eating a lot again (Thanks dad!)
Aunty: Nahin pehlein bahut bahut bahut moti thi na (No, earlier she was really very very very fat)
Me: Thank you auntyji (this time feigning my politeness)

Situation: Wedding
Attire: Awesome lehenga with hairdo and make-up

Aunty (looking at me lovingly): Kitni sundar ho gayi hai (You have become so pretty now)
Me: Toh pehlein nahin thi? (You mean I was not pretty before?)
Aunty (too stunned to reply)

Situation: Wedding
Attire: Gorgeous sari

Aunty (to my cousin): You were looking so beautiful at the Sangeet ceremony yesterday…..(after looking closely)…actually that was not you, it was your sister.

SERIOUSLY!!???

Here is a tip aunties, say something nice and then stop. Don’t explain or elaborate. And yes, being little more tactful would go down well too.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha ha this is good. Now you just have to get your aunties to read it pathli ladki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another one:

    "Seema, u r promoting tact??!!" (looking all stunned)..."India sure has a wonderful effect on u ;)" (expression: sweetly ingratiating...)
    lol..
    enjoyed ur post! have fun in India...

    ReplyDelete